You’ve just started a new job, and you want to make a good first impression. Follow these tips to show your boss you’ve got what it takes to succeed.
- Say “yes” to new opportunities. You may be unsure about how to handle challenging assignments, but your willingness to take them on shows your ambition and initiative.
- Establish goals. Work with your manager to decide on some achievable goals for your first three months. These might be specific skills to master, projects to complete, or something else.
- Solve problems. Don’t run to your boss every time you hit a speed bump. Do your best to solve problems on your own or with your team to show your commitment to the organization’s success.
- Make connections. Get to know your team members, but don’t stop there. Make an effort to connect with people throughout your organization. Join professional associations to broaden your span of contacts.
- Speak up during meetings. Don’t try to show off, but share your knowledge whenever you can. This shows people you’re experienced and ready with ideas.
- Manage your time. Keep track of what you’re working on so you can use your time to the organization’s benefit—and so you can devote more time to doing what you really enjoy.
- Seek feedback. Ask often how you’re doing. Talk to your manager and co-workers about your performance so you can get up to speed quickly and start contributing fully from the get-go.
Click here for more career resources!