If you want to want to advance in your career, a plan is essential. Here’s how to build forward momentum:
- Make a five-year plan. What do you want to be doing in five years? What do you want to accomplish in that period of time?
- Set your own goals. Don’t try to live up to someone else’s expectations. It’s your career—follow it your way.
- Build your contact list. Make connections inside and outside your organization. The more contacts you have, the more diverse your future career options will be.
- Take on responsibility. When you see an opportunity to volunteer for more responsibility, do it. Your boss will appreciate it, and you’ll develop more authority at the office.
- Look for challenges. When you get bored with what you’re doing, look for something new. Learn new skills. Dipping into new territory can open up the future—sometimes in unexpected ways.