Do you wish you had more time in the day to get everything done? It doesn’t matter where you work or what you do, I think we all wish we could be a little more productive. We all have the same 24 hours as Beyoncé, so I’m here to help you make the most out of your day (and save time where you can.)
- Have a Morning Routine – Don’t create unnecessary stress. Pick your clothes out the night before. I admire Steve Jobs’ approach to rocking the black turtle neck and jeans every day, but the uniform life is not for me, so I plan my outfits ahead of time. Don’t skip breakfast either. If you have time to make a full breakfast in the morning, then more power to you. I opt for quick and easy, like oatmeal or egg bites. Skipping is not an option. Eating breakfast clears my mind and gives me energy to tackle the day.
- Schedule Out Your Day – Use a calendar, NOT a to-do list. 41 percent of items on to-do lists are never actually done. Productive people work in time blocks, which allow you to be more efficient. To-do lists are a never ending list of bullets that usually roll over into the next day because we underestimate how long certain tasks will take us. Tackle the most challenging tasks before lunch.
- Avoid Meetings – While meetings are important, they can also be the biggest time wasters. They usually start late, people go off topic, and they tend to run longer than planned. Most of the time, these meetings can be handled in an email instead. If you must do a meeting, keep it concise, make a decision and plan of action, and move on.
- Eliminate Distractions – Put your phone on silent, face down, or away from plain sight so you’re not tempted to look at it every time your screen lights up with a notification. Also, learn how to say “no”. While helping your team members is important, it’s okay to say you can’t get to something right away. Finish what you’re doing while you are in the zone, and then focus on the other tasks once you’re done.
- Take a break! – After you’ve had a productive morning, your brain needs a break! Go outside, get some fresh air, get a snack, and leave the office if you can. You need to recharge, refocus, and clear your mind to finish out the day strong.
It doesn’t matter if you work in an office, work from home, or have multiple jobs. We can all find ways to be a little more productive. Interruptions will happen, but with a schedule in place, you’ll be able to jump back in. What are you waiting for? Time’s ticking!
Marisol Saldana, AurStaff
Marisol joined AurStaff in January 2018 and is a Social Media Strategist & Recruiter. She attended the University of Nebraska and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing. Marisol has been a makeup artist for five years and enjoys making people look and feel beautiful. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, working out, trying new restaurants, and hanging out with family. She has an 8 year old daughter, Liliana, who is her best friend and biggest fan.